Latest Update: The City of Half Moon Bay Planning Commission will hold a Study Session to review the revised design for the proposed Hyatt Place hotel project. The purpose of the Planning Commission Study Session is to receive a presentation of the revised project design, provide an opportunity for community input, and provide feedback to the applicant’s architectural team. Please click here for details.
The Planning Division improves our community's quality of life and safeguards coastal resources by ensuring that residences, businesses, and other uses are planned, developed, and operated in accordance with the requirements of the Local Coastal Program, Zoning Ordinance, General Plan, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), and other applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
Among the many responsibilities of the Planning Division staff is Plan Half Moon Bay, which is the City’s Local Coastal Program and General Plan Update process. Other task areas include:
- Processing entitlement applications
- Local administration of the California Subdivision Map Act, California Environmental Quality Act, and the California Coastal Act
- Conserving and enhancing the City’s environmental resources and scenic beauty
- Preserving Half Moon Bay's historic resources and small town heritage
- Managing the community’s growth, incorporating community values and standards
- Enforcing the policies and regulations related to land use and development
- Administering the General Plan, and the Local Coastal Program, its Land Use Plan, Specific Plans, Zoning Code, and its Subdivision and Sign Ordinances, and provisions of Measure ‘D’ - the voter-adopted residential growth control ordinance
- Maintaining studies and reports on such topics as demographics, environmental review, and development entitlement activities