Engineering develops master plans, prepares designs and studies, administers construction contracts for the improvements to the City’s buildings and grounds, streets, sidewalks, trails, parks, parking lots, drainage facilities, sewer collection and street lighting system.
Public Works maintains all City buildings and grounds, sidewalk trees, median landscaping, drainage, sewer collection system, parks, tot-lots, beaches, trails and other City public infrastructure.
Sidewalk and Tree Maintenance and Liability
Under Section 5610 of the California Streets and Highway Code The property owner is responsible for maintaining the:
- Frontage along a public right-of-way to maintain the sidewalk area
- Street trees and other landscaping growing along the frontage
- The public right-of-way adjacent to the property
- Includes any park or parking strip between the property line and the street line
Maintenance obligation will include, but not be limited to
- Sidewalk surfaces, curbs and gutters
- Removal of weeds and debris
- Tree root pruning and installing root barriers
- Pruning and trimming of trees, shrubs, ground cover and other landscaping within the sidewalk area and planting strips.
If a property owner fails to maintain the sidewalk area, the City can perform the work and proceed to collect the cost from the property owner.
The Sidewalk and Tree Maintenance and Liability can be found in Chapter 12.18 of the Half Moon Bay Municipal Code
Any work performed in the public right of way requires an encroachment permit. For example: installation or repair of sidewalk, curb and/or gutter, driveway approach, installation of sidewalk underdrain, installation of sewer lateral or cleanout, placement of test borings, or erection of building scaffolding.
To obtain an Encroachment permit the property owner or licensed contractor performing the work can:
- Complete the Street Encroachment Permit and submit to the City Engineer at City Hall or
- Pay all required encroachment permit fees
- If required, provide certificates of public liability and property damage insurance with the City named as an additional insured
Please report needed street maintenance by calling 650.726.7177
City of Half Moon Bay streets are swept by Allied Waste Services as per the following schedule
|DOWNTOWN STREETS ARE SWEPT WEEKLY ON TUESDAYS|
Sweeping Hours 6:00 am - Noon
|Arroyo Leon Drive||Main Street||Pablo Court|
|Church Street||Mill Street||Mill Street|
|Purissima Street||Correas Street||Miramontes Street|
|San Benito Street||Johnston Street||Monte Vista Lane|
|Vasques Drive||Kelly Street|
|RESIDENTIAL STREETS ARE SWEPT ONCE A MONTH ON TUESDAYS Sweeping Hours 7:30 am - Noon|
Grand View Terrace
Roosevelt / Washington Area
Grand / Belleville Area
Kehoe / Casa Del Mar Area
Terrace / Highland Park
Alsace Lorraine / Kelly Ave
Arleta Park East
Arnold Way / Colonel Way
Arleta Park West
The City of Half Moon Bay recognizes the value of preserving and enhancing the number and variety of trees on both public and private property as essential to preserving the health and aesthetic beauty of the community.
A heritage tree is defined in the Municipal Code, Section 7.40 as the following:
A tree located on public or private property, exclusive of eucalyptus, with a trunk diameter of 12 inches or circumference of approximately 38 inches measured at 48 inches above ground level: or
A tree or stand of trees so designated by resolution of the City Council based on its finding of special historical, environmental or aesthetic value: or
Any street tree located in the public right of way along the entire length of Main Street.
Building Inspection Hot Line: 650.726.8794
Acting City Engineer
Public Works Superintendent